ENAC – PhD Position on Sustainability Assessment of Urban Systems at HERUS
PhD Position on Sustainability Assessment of Urban Systems at HERUS
We are offering a 100% PhD researcher position on sustainability assessment of urban systems at the Laboratory for Human-Environment Relations in Urban Systems (HERUS), ENAC, at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL) in Lausanne, Switzerland.
The research focus of HERUS is on transitions of urban systems towards sustainability. HERUS is an interdisciplinary team, consisting of social scientists and natural scientists. We combine social science methods with material and energy flow models, using ABM or SD and where appropriate machine learning techniques. A key aspect of our work relates to developing assessment methods for urban systems combining systemic and normative aspects. The research of the PhD student will focus on further developing these sustainability assessment methods. Thereby, the PhD student will combine qualitative and quantitative approaches to elicit and assess the sustainability of urban systems. Depending on the background a specialization in topics such as sustainable health, energy, or wellbeing is possible.
For reference of past work please visit: http://herus.epfl.ch/
The PhD position will span maximal 4 years. Working language is English.
- Full responsibility for your own research under the guidance of Prof. Dr. Claudia Binder and Dr. Stefanie Krauth, or other postdocs, depending on needs
- Support to build-up the area of sustainability assessment of urban systems
- Research in collaboration with the research team and potential city partners
- Teaching (20%)
- An excellent MSC degree, preferably in Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Geography, Natural Sciences, or other related fields
- Knowledge of, and high interest in, interdisciplinary approaches and interest to employ methods from different fields such as social science and natural sciences
- High interest in sustainability issues and the assessment thereof
- Proficiency in English, strong team spirit, social skills, good communication, independence, and a high level of motivation for academic research motivated by relevant practical problems
- French knowledge is an asset
- Excellent working conditions: an innovative and competitive atmosphere, modern equipped working areas and an environment that promotes access to the world’s best scientists
- Full financial support for four years including conference visits
- The position is open as of May 2017 or upon agreement
Please send your application including motivation letter, curriculum vitae, list of publications and two references until March 20th 2017 in one PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions please contact the head of the laboratory: email@example.com