ENAC – Post-doctoral / Senior scientists position on modelling transitions of urban systems at HERUS
Post-doctoral / Senior scientists position on modelling transitions of urban systems at HERUS
We are offering a 75 – 100% Post-doctoral /senior scientist position on modelling transitions of urban systems at the Laboratory for Human-Environment Relations in Urban Systems (HERUS), ENAC, at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL) in Lausanne, Switzerland.
The research focus of HERUS is on transitions of urban systems towards sustainability. HERUS is an interdisciplinary team consisting of social scientists and natural scientists. We combine social science methods with material and energy flow models, using ABM or SD and, where appropriate, machine learning techniques. The research of the post-doctoral fellow will focus on developing integrative models and scenarios for transitions of urban systems towards sustainability. The fellow will also contribute to building an ontology for characterizing urban systems as Social-Ecological Technological Systems (SETS), which provides the basis for the modelling endeavours and group collaboration.
For reference of past work please visit: http://herus.epfl.ch/
The post-doctoral / senior scientist position will span maximal 6 years.
Working language is English.
- Full responsibility for your own research
- Research in collaboration with the research team and potential city partners
- Co-supervision of PhD and MSC student projects and basic administrative support
- Support to the HERUS Laboratory in ontology and model development
- Teaching (20%)
- An excellent PhD degree, preferably in Social Sciences, Geography, Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering, or Natural Sciences
- A strong modelling background and ability to bridge between social and environmental sciences
- Experience in interdisciplinary research and related skills
- Experience in transitions research and high interest in understanding and modelling transition processes in urban systems
- Proficiency in English, strong team spirit, proven social skills, good communication skills, independence and a high level of motivation for academic research work motivated by relevant practical problems
- French knowledge is an asset
- Excellent working conditions: an innovative and competitive atmosphere, modern equipped working areas and an environment that promotes access to the world’s best scientists
- Full financial support including conference visits
- The position is open as of May 2017 or upon agreement
Please send your application including motivation letter, curriculum vitae, list of publications and two references until March 20th 2017 in one PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions please contact the head of the laboratory: email@example.com